From NBGS Miramichi-WIKIBishop John Medley was born in Chelsea, England on 19 December 1804.
As the first Anglican bishop of Fredericton, Bishop Medley spent 47 years building up the church physically and spiritually. He was educated at Wadham College in Oxford, and was active in the English ecclesiological movement, which stressed the improvement of church music and architecture.
Prior to arriving in Canada to take up his post in Fredericton, Medley was an active priest in England. In Canada, he was instrumental in developing the Canadian church with its own distinct form of Anglican worship. Bishop Medley's High Church sympathies were viewed with suspicion by his Loyalist congregation. Consecrated bishop of Fredericton in 1845, he embarked on a series of annual parish visitations and dedicated himself to building the Cathedral at Fredericton and developing a Cathedral Choir School.
The Cathedral, designed by architect Frank Wills with furnishing designed by William Butterfield, was consecrated in 1853. Bishop Medley supported free pews, free-will offerings and the development of Diocesan Synods. He was the author of "Hymns for Public Worship", first published in the Diocese of Fredericton in 1855.
In 1879 Medley succeeded Ashton Oxenden as Metropolitan of Canada. Bishop Medley served until his death in Fredericton on 9 September 1892.
This text is available for use under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License.
For more information, select the following link: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/