Wyse, William

From NBGS Miramichi-WIKI

Jump to: navigation, search
                               PEOPLE OF THE PAST
                                  William Wyse


William Wyse, a furniture dealer in Chatham, was born at Grangemouth, Stirling County, Scotland on February 12, 1833. He was the son of Henry Wyse and Mary Walker.

Henry immigrated to Douglas, N.B. on May 12, 1834. There he set up a bakery business which lasted a few months until Henry decided to move to Water Street, Chatham where he would run a bakery and hotel business for the next five years. In 1839 he relocated his business to Duke Street where it continued until 1844. At that time he closed the hotel but continued to operate the bakery until his death at age 81 years. For several years he was captain of the Volunteer Fire Company.

Henry and Mary (Walker) Wyse had eight children.

Mary married Alexander Loudoun, a Chatham Merchant.

Margaret married Thomas Phillips, a Chatham blacksmith.

Henry Junior became a baker and moved to Newcastle He was married twice. I shall have more on him at the end of this article.

John, also a baker, married Elizabeth Rennie of Chatham before moving to Boston to open his own Bakery.

Andrew became a baker in Chicago.

James set up a mercantile business in that city.

There is no record of Annie and it is believed she died young.

William Wyse was brought up in Chatham where he was educated in public schools under Mr. James Miller. In 1851 he started work in the mercantile business and remained there for three and a half years until the company went broke. He then travelled extensively throughout the United States and upon his return entered the employ of his brother-in-law, Alexander Loudoun. He went to Fox Island where, for a few years, he was employed at canning and preserving Salmon. Upon his return to Chatham he opened his own dry goods and grocery store. He also canned lobsters for export.

When the question of confederation arose, Wyse became active in politics and was a strong supporter of Sir John A. MacDonald. Wyse became Inspector if Fisheries under MacDonald’s administration. He continued to operate his business at the same time. In 1890 he became engaged in a dispute with Fisheries Minister Tupper about the payment of a small sum of money to the fish warden and was dismissed.

From 1886 to 1898 he was commissioner of roads and he did a lot of work in Chatham. It was about the middle of this period, 1891, that William Wyse opened a furniture business in Chatham.

Wyse was active in church and community. From the formation of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church until around the turn of the century he was a member of the board of trustees. For twenty five years he was the major force behind the design and construction of Elm Park.

He married Elizabeth Marshall, a sister of the Hon. Robert Marshall (of Chatham and later of Saint John) who became a prominent citizen of New Brunswick. They had two children, both of whom died in infancy. Elizabeth died in 1864. In 1865 William Wyse took for his second wife, Emma Peters, a daughter of Charles Peters. They had three sons and one daughter.

Clifford W. operated a poultry farm at Black River

Bernard W. became a book-keeper in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Edward B. became an electrician and resided at Chatham.

There is no record of Florence.

Henry Wyse, mentioned earlier, was born in Chatham in 1841. After being educated in local schools he worked for his father in the bakery until 1865 when he went aboard for two years to travel to Europe and India. After his returned he married Marianne Nicholson, eldest daughter of Robert Nicholson. He returned to work with his father until 1874 when he opened his own bakery in Newcastle.

Henry and Marianne had three children of whom one died in infancy. Henry Junior was interested in mining and moved to Aspen, Colorado.

Robert opened a dry-goods business in Newcastle.

Marianne died in 1895 and in 1897 Henry married Emily McMasters of Bay du Vin. She was a daughter of William McMasters. Her grandfather, Also William, had emigrated from Northern Ireland around 1835.

by Andrew Fraser


Source: Northumberland News – July 13, 1983


This text is available for use under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. For more information, select the following link: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0

Personal tools