Miramichi Branch - N.B. Genealogy Society : GENEALOGY FORUM

If you have a query about your Miramichi Roots, please select New Topic and post your query.
Members of the Miramichi Branch - New Brunswick Genealogy Society will attempt to reply to your query as soon as possible.
If you have some genealogy information that you think may be of interest to other users of this forum, you may post that as well.
To do a search of our Database containing Family Names transcribed from Headstones of all the Graveyards in Northumberland County, New Brunswick, go to our
Database Search Page..
More Genealogy information is available at the Miramichi Branch, N.B. Genealogy Society Website.
The fastest message board....ever.
Re: Marquis Family
Posted by: Penny (IP Logged)
Date: September 9, 2015 02:44PM


Here is the information listed on the tombstones (2) in Riverside Protestant Cemetery, Chatham.


Hugh Marquis
d. November 15, 1899 - age 71
His wife:
Mary McIndoe
d. June 14, 1909 - age 83
(side 2)
John McIndoe
d. 1855
(side 3)
d. November 27, 1855
Age 1 yr & 4 mos
Ellen Sheerer
d. September 25, 1868
Age 1 yr & 7 mos

Andrew Hyslop
His wife:
d. September 8, 1941

I will see if I'm able to get a photo for you. No promises. :-)

Here's an obituary you may be interested in.

MARQUIS, Andrew H.
(d. 1917)


Mr. Andrew H. MARQUIS was instantly killed early Thursday morning by grasping an electric light wire that was evidently in contact with a power line. His barn, in the rear of his residence, corner of Duke and John Streets, was on fire and he was standing in the gateway with Mr. Leo Moran watching the firemen at work. He had removed his horse, wagon and harness, and was confidently expecting the firemen, with two streams of water they had, to extinguish the fire. The hay in the barn loft was burning making a big blaze.

Fireman Charles Blakely, who was mounting a ladder near the electric wire between the house and the barn, with the nozzle in his hands playing on the fire, was knocked off by an electric shock, the stream of water being a conductor between him and the wire, and the order was given to cut the wires. William Cable, of the light station, not having pliers, broke the wire with a hook from the ladder truck. He fell to the ground as the severed wire dropped on him and Mr. MARQUIS sprang forward and grasped the wire, with the evident purpose of rescuing the prostrate man, when he fell to the ground, killed by the stroke of the powerful current. Mr. Leo Moran made a kick at the wire, missed it, and then realized the danger. The wire was cut near the house with an axe by Policeman Flynn, who received a shock in doing so. Mr. MARQUIS was dead, and Mr. Cable was insensible. He was taken to the hospital and recovered consciousness after twenty minutes. He suffered from burns on his head and body where the wire touched him. He wore rubbers, and these probably help it lessen the force of the current that passed through him.

Mr. MARQUIS was fifty-five years old, and had been in business here since arriving in early manhood. He was a good businessman, with a wonderful grasp on the manifold details of his general store business and had prospered financially. He was a Past Master of the Miramichi Masonic Lodge and a Past Grand of Chatham Lodge of Odd Fellows, having been treasurer of the latter for twenty-five years.

He was married, his wife being a sister of Ald. D.P. MacLACHLAN; and had one son, Mac, who is overseas with the Nova Scotia Highland Regiment, having enlisted in it when he was a student at college. His brothers are, Hugh, of Campbellton, George, of Shippegan, Thomas GUTHRIE, the author of Toronto; and his sisters, Mrs. George J. DICKSON, of Napan, and Mrs. Dr. THOMPSON, of Nova Scotia.

He was a member of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church and a regular attendant on its services. He was an ex-alderman of the town.

The remains of the late Andrew Hislop MARQUIS were escorted to Riverside Cemetery, Sunday afternoon by the Freemasons and Odd Fellows in regalia, preceded by the Chatham Band playing the: Dead March in Saul, and followed by citizens in carriages. Following the hearse was a vast concourse of people in vehicles and on foot, including a large number from surrounding county whom even the disagreeable weather and bad travelling did not prevent their paying their last tributes of respect to the memory of one who met his death is such a sudden, sad yet heroic manner. The casket was heaped up with floral tributes. There were fifty-eight Odd Fellows and fifty-two Masons in the procession. The Newcastle Brethren came in the: Dorothy N, and the Douglastown and Loggieville men in motor boats.

Source: Miramichi Leader- December 9, 2011 (originally published in the Commercial - 1917)


Subject Written By Posted
Marquis Family polarbear 04/05/15 09:53AM
     Re: Marquis Family Penny 09/09/15 02:44PM
        Re: Marquis Family polarbear 11/14/15 06:46PM
     Re: Marquis Family polarbear 12/16/15 09:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.